Elton John has announced his 32nd studio album "The Lockdown Sessions".
Arriving on October 22 via EMI Records "The Lockdown Sessions" consists of a series of collaborations between the Rocketman singer artists such as Eddie Vedder, Miley Cyrus, Dua Lipa, Lil Nas X among others.
Elton John started recording for this album 18 months ago, after his Farewell Tour had been postponed due to the pandemic.
"The last thing I expected to do"
“The last thing I expected to do during lockdown was make an album", the legendary singer said in a statement. “But, as the pandemic went on, one‐off projects kept cropping up".
The last thing I expected to do during lockdown was make an album but here it is. Thank you to everyone who came together to make it happen.— Elton John (@eltonofficial) September 1, 2021
I can’t wait for you all to hear ‘The Lockdown Sessions’ when it’s released on 22 October, but for now, preorder it from today. pic.twitter.com/u8Qfvuk1Fk
The album also features Elton's collaboration with Dua Lipa "Cold Heart". Other collaborations on the album also include Gorillaz, Andrew Watt, Brandi Carlile, Miley Cyrus, Young Thug and Stevie Wonder and more.
"Never done before"
“Some of the recording sessions had to be done remotely, via Zoom, which I’d obviously never done before", Elton John said of the project.
“Some of the sessions were recorded under very stringent safety regulations: working with another artist, but separated by glass screens" he continued. "But all the tracks I worked on were really interesting and diverse, stuff that was completely different to anything I’m known for, stuff that took me out of my comfort zone into completely new territory".
The Tiny Dancer singer said that making this album reminded him of when he used to work on music when he was a session musician.
“At the start of my career, in the late 60s, I worked as a session musician. Working with different artists during lockdown reminded me of that", he said.
He added that "The Lockdown Sessions" had led him to “come full circle: I was a session musician again". Adding that "it was still a blast".
Check out the track list below.
1. Elton John & Dua Lipa – ‘Cold Heart’ (PNAU Remix)
2. Elton John, Young Thug & Nicki Minaj – ‘Always Love You’
3. Surfaces feat. Elton John – ‘Learn To Fly’
4. Elton John & Charlie Puth – ‘After All’
5. Rina Sawayama & Elton John – ‘Chosen Family’
6. Gorillaz feat. Elton John & 6LACK – ‘The Pink Phantom’
7. Elton John & Years & Years – ‘It’s a sin’ (global reach mix)
8. Miley Cyrus feat. WATT, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo & Chad Smith – ‘Nothing Else Matters’
9. Elton John & SG Lewis – ‘Orbit’
10. Elton John & Brandi Carlile – ‘Simple Things’
11. Jimmie Allen & Elton John – ‘Beauty In The Bones’
12. Lil Nas X feat. Elton John – ‘One Of Me’
13. Elton John & Eddie Vedder – ‘E-Ticket’
14. Elton John & Stevie Wonder – ‘Finish Line’
15. Elton John & Stevie Nicks – ‘Stolen Car’
16. Glen Campbell & Elton John – ‘I’m Not Gonna Miss You’