The potential case between Prince Andrew and his accuser, Virginia Guiffre has been settled, relieving the duke of future testimonial duties. According to a court filing, an unspecified sum will be paid out to Guiffre on behalf of Duke of York.
Prince Andrew has settled his case with accuser, Virginia Giuffre following an “out of court settlement” reached between both parties. The duke faced allegations of sexual abuse toward Guiffre and was recently stripped of his honorary military titles and charitable roles.
In a jointly-submitted letter to the United States District Court on Tuesday, the accuser’s representative – David Boies claims a settlement had been reached “in principle”. Court documents show the Duke of York will make a “substantial donation to Ms Giuffre's charity in support of victims' rights.”
Andrew has also pledged to “demonstrate his regret for his association with [Jeffrey] Epstein,” by supporting the “fight against the evils of sex trafficking, and by supporting its victims.” Ms Giuffre, also known as Virginia Roberts, claims she had been trafficked to Prince Andrew by Epstein as a 17-year-old, a minor under US law.
An attachment to the letter announcing the settlement gave brief details of the agreement between Andrew and Ms Giuffre but indicated the sum would not be disclosed. The court documents stated that, “Virginia Giuffre and Prince Andrew have reached an out of court settlement.
“The parties will file a stipulated dismissal upon Ms Giuffre's receipt of the settlement (the sum of which is not being disclosed). Prince Andrew intends to make a substantial donation to Ms. Giuffre's charity in support of victims' rights. Prince Andrew has never intended to malign Ms. Giuffre's character, and he accepts that she has suffered both as an established victim of abuse and as a result of unfair public attacks.
“It is known that Jeffrey Epstein trafficked countless young girls over many years. Prince Andrew regrets his association with Epstein, and commends the bravery of Ms Giuffre and other survivors in standing up for themselves and others. He pledges to demonstrate his regret for his association with Epstein by supporting the fight against the evils of sex trafficking, and by supporting its victims.”
Guiffre’s lawyer, Mr Boies said the statement speaks volumes, and believes, “this event speaks for itself.”
The duke has vehemently denied allegations made against him by Ms Guiffre, who was aged 17 at the time of events. As recent as January, Andrew’s lawyers submitted 11 reasons why the case should be dismissed, with the prince demanding a trial by jury. Boies claims his client had been looking forward to “confronting” the royal on his longstanding “denials”.
Representatives of the duke said they would not be commenting further than what was said in the documents submitted to the court. Buckingham Palace has so far been reported to decline any comment on the development in these early stages of reprieve.
Royal correspondent for Sky News, Rhiannon Mills said it “has to be said, this settlement has come out of the blue. In recent weeks and months, we have simply seen ongoing brinkmanship between the two sides… And certainly, in recent weeks it did appear this case was heading to trial, and we know the judge had put that potential date in the diary. But now a settlement has been reached.”