
![]()
The five teenagers who died following that horrific collision along the M9 motorway, have been named locally.
This happened after a car that the five teenage boys were in, drove down the wrong way along the motorway. The have been named as Joe Carthy from Athy, Co Kildare; Alex McCarthy from Carlow; Kamil Pustkowski from Limerick; Jeremy O'Brien and Jack Kennedy. Post mortem examinations are to take place at Naas General Hospital.
Their bodies were removed from the wreckage following the collision, which happened between Junction 3 and Junction 4 along the M9 motorway at Moone, Co Kildare just after 3am on Sunday morning.
The car had been travelling southbound on the northbound carriageway when they hit a second car, which contained a family, including three women and a seven year old boy, who are being treated in hospital.
Two of the women are in a critical condition, while the third woman and young child are in a serious condition. It was reported that the family are from the Carlow area.
Speaking about this incident, Taoiseach Micheál Martin had said that he was "shocked and saddened" at this accident, which he has described as "an irresponsible and dangerous act.
In some cases, Mr Martin added that these incidents are "being done for likes on social media".
Elsewhere, Justice Minister Jim O'Callaghan said that he has spoken with the Garda Commissioner today, and that legislation is being prepared in order to strengthen garda protections "when it comes to pursuit". (All quotes according to RTÉ).